How to Move Guides
4 WEEKS BEFORE MOVING
- Before your moving estimate, decide which items you’ll pack, and which you’d like SU Movers to pack. We can provide the finest packing materials at reasonable prices.
- Tour your house and decide which items should be discarded or donated to charity.
- Consider a moving sale. Our brochure “How to Hold a Moving Sale” will be helpful.
- Call doctors and dentists. They may recommend a colleague near your new home. Get copies of renewable prescriptions and request medical and dental records.
- Arrange transfer of school records.
- Transfer personal insurance records.
- Check homeowner’s insurance policies to see if moving is covered. Be sure your new home is protected by transferring fire, theft and other personal property insurance.
- If moving from an apartment, notify the landlord and request an apartment deposit back.
- If you have house plants to move, read through the Southern Utah Movers brochure “How to Move Your House Plants,” and start preparing your plants for the move
3 WEEKS BEFORE MOVING
- Plan to use up most food items before the move; perishables cannot be transported.
- Check and clear tax assessments.
- Arrange to have major appliances serviced before you move them. If a company-paid move, check with your move coordinator first.
- Southern Utah Movers can’t take aerosols, flammables, ammunition or bottled gas. It’s best to use them up or give them away before you move.
- If you have pets to transfer, your SU Movers Agent can give you advice on the best methods, and our brochure “How to Move Your Pets” also will be helpful.
- Request pet’s records from the veterinarian.
- Notify the Post Office and get change-of-address forms. Notify magazines to which you subscribe. Note: You must fill out a change-of-address form for each person receiving mail at your address.
2 WEEKS BEFORE MOVING
- Return library books and other things you’ve borrowed.
- Collect things you’ve loaned, and items in the dry-cleaners, lay-away, cold storage, safety deposit box, etc.
- Review and complete the Customer Responsibility/High-Value Inventory Form to give to the SU Movers professional.
- Take the time to fill out “Welcome To Your New Home” for the new owners.
- Arrange to discontinue utilities and delivery services.
- Protect your shipment from damage by disposing of flammables such as gasoline, fireworks, matches, cleaning fluids, bottled gas, aerosols, acids, and caustic drain cleaners, etc.
- Arrange connection of utilities in new home.
- Draw up a floor plan of your new home, and indicate placement of furnishings. It makes moving in much easier.
- Transfer bank accounts, and ask your local credit bureau to transfer your records to your new city.
- Reconfirm travel reservations.
- We are not permitted to take down TV antennas or satellite dishes. We can arrange this service for you.
- Arrange for cable/satellite TV disconnection.
1 WEEK BEFORE MOVING
- Set aside maps, games, snacks, flashlight, and other items you’ll take in your car.
- Gather medicines and important papers for the car trip.
- Unless another means of payment has been prearranged, e.g., credit card, personal check, or company paid — payment is due in cash, cashier’s check, or postal money order before your household goods are unloaded at their destination.
- Your local service provider can help you with phone, internet, cable or satellite service for your new home.
- Start packing suitcases.
- Get name, address and phone number of your Southern Utah Movers Destination Agent.
- Drain gasoline and oil from small gasoline-powered equipment.
- Drain water from all garden hoses.
- Anything we’re packing should be left in place. It’s easier and safer, for example, to pack glassware right from the cabinet where it’s stored.
1 DAY BEFORE MOVING
- Put non-combustible cleaning supplies, toiletries and other items you may need first in special boxes to be loaded last, unloaded first.
- Finish packing all suitcases.
- Defrost, clean and dry refrigerator and chest freezer.
- It’s helpful to update current contact information for friends and local businesses before the big move.
- Remember to give the SU Movers professional your signed Customer Responsibility/ High Value Inventory Form (this form must be signed even if no items are listed). Be on hand all day to answer questions and to sign the Bill of Lading. Confirm your delivery date, new address and the phone number where you can be reached.
- Leave “Welcome To Your New Home” in a conspicuous place.
- Make final check of every room and storage area. Make sure windows and doors are locked, keys are transferred and lights are out.
Note: It’s a good idea to be at your new home a day ahead of the movers so you can make sure utilities are connected, and plan placement of major items in your home.
PEOPLE TO BE NOTIFIED
- Post Office
- Insurance companies (Life, Homeowners, Health, Auto)
- Local credit bureau and creditors (stores, credit cards, etc.)
- Financial institutions where you have savings, loans, checking accounts or stock
- Magazines (The Post Office will provide free change-of-address cards to send to publishers)
- Clubs or associations
- Internal Revenue Service and/or other government agencies
- Gas or Fuel Oil
- Lawn Care Service
- Cable/Satellite TV
ITEMS YOU’LL TAKE IN YOUR CAR
- First-Aid Kit
- Prescription Drugs
- Credit Cards
- Cash or Travelers Checks for trip (Coins for toll roads)
- Emergency Road Equipment (Tools, flares and a flashlight)
- Cell Phone Charger
All SU Movers Agents are ProMover Certified, the highest designation from the American Moving & Storage Assocation.
Award Winning Agents
SU Movers adheres to formal, measurable standards for quality. Our Agencies are accountable with regular inspections and evaluations. Customer feedback is also essential for our efforts to improve service on every move.